When it comes to fixing a pool pump water leak it’s vital to first determine the cause. Often when leaks are under the pump it’s because there is a leak on the pressure side. It’s best to check the impeller housing, seals and o-rings. If you find that any are cracked they need replacing. Other water leaks happen at the piping system where the water goes in and out. At this location, there are threaded connectors that may also be the cause of the leak. If your pool has either of these issues above the fix is relatively easy.
There are a few common water leaks at the pump piping connectors and motor connectors, If you notice water leaking where water enters the pump it’s likely that the leak is caused by an air leak. Leaks, where water gets released out, are most commonly due to a water leak. Usually starts small with a few drops then gets worse over time. Whereas having an issue with leaks from the spot where the motor attaches to the pump is often caused by faulty shaft seals.
REASONS FOR POOL PUMP WATER LEAK ON SUCTION SIDE:
- The pump has problems getting water to move when starting.
- No response when power is switched on
- Power’s on, but nothing happening
- Water has to be added to the pump and started up more often to run properly.
- The filter tank pressure is lower than usual.
- Pool water is often cloudy.
- Skimmer baskets float instead of normal set position.
- The pool needs vacuuming often.
REASONS FOR LEAKS ON DISCHARGE SIDE:
- Water drips and or spraying at pump pipe connection.
- Water puddling at pump base trickling down the side.
- Pool losing water.
REASONS FOR POOL PUMP WATER LEAK AT SHAFT SEAL:
- Water puddles under the center of the pump below the pump motor connection.
- The surrounding area has been damaged by water.
- Loud noises being made by the motor.
If any of the issues above match your situation something needs repairing. Its best at this point to have a professional pool technician inspect your pool system. Our aquatic technicians are here to help you if needed. We will find the problem and fix it for you fast. Remember that If you wait too long the damage will get worse and more expensive to repair.